Monday, April 30, 2012

Antique Skeleton Keys and Other Key Findings

Old skeleton keys always remind me of the home where I grew up. The house was built in 1918 and the keys were huge, and black, and they felt so charming to me. We had heavy solid wood doors with crackled varnish. The doors had a drop ventilation window above, our version of air conditioning. It actually worked well to move hot air out but I also remember bees would come in.
These keys have a lot of rust and grunge, and are equally as charming.
This collection is a nice mix of vintage keys, some grungy and rusty, some brass, each one has charm of it's own. It makes me wonder what the keys unlocked. It's fun to sift through these, like sifting through an old button box. You never know what special piece you'll find. All of these are available now in my etsy shop, Triple Trouble.

No comments: