Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Meet my flock

These are my six surviving chicks at about 8 weeks old, guessing. The brown headed chick on the right is a rooster. You can see Honey Pie on the left, he lost a lot of those pretty feathers when his momma attacked him.
 
This is Honey Pie and Blondie at about 1 week old. They were my favorites from the start.
 
This is one of the chicks at 13 or 14 weeks old. She was just 3 days old when we adopted he with her mother and 6 other chicks.
 
This is Blondie. She is my favorite of the chicks. Her feathers are finally coming back after being attacked by her mother hen and other chicks. I introduced Blondie and Honey Pie to the new coop. Soon the other babies will join them.
 
This is Honey Pie, my first rooster, about 13 or 14 weeks old. He was beat up pretty badly by his mother hen. She had been caring for them until she laid an egg in the cage, one day later she was killing her babies and I had to take her from them. I separated the two most injured youngins because the other chicks were pecking these guys all to heck.
 
These are my first hens, Mother Teresa, who came to us with her 7 babies, and Miss Chiff, the part Polish hen in front. The first time I put them together in the small coop, they had each other by the throats. They were screaming and killing each other. Now they are best friends.





No comments: